Unemployment, Accident & Sickness Insurance - British Insurance

Specialist Home Insurance

Customer reviews

We are pleased to offer specialist home insurance for properties that can be difficult to insure.

British Insurance

British Insurance provides you with
  • Extra cover you need that is not offered by standard home insurance
  • 24/7 claims service
  • Qualified advisors to offer you assistance over the phone
  • Up to £5000 for tracing and accessing leaks in

    your property

This specialist home insurance policy is provided by Towergate Insurance. By clicking the Get A Quote button, you will leave the British Insurance website and you will be redirected to Towergate Insurance. British Insurance cannot be held responsible for the content of the Towergate Insurance website and by using this website you will be subject to their terms of use.

Get a quote

We provide home insurance for properties of non-standard construction.
If your home is of non-standard construction it can be more difficult to cover. We specialise in protecting homes of unusual construction, whether your home is underpinned, a listed building, has a steel or timber frame, or is in a flood risk area.
How do I know if my property is of non-standard construction?
If your home is one or more of the following, our specialist policy could suit you:

- Is an underpinned property

- Has suffered subsidence

- Is in a flood risk area

- Is a timber or steel framed property

- Is an eco home

- Was built using Essex, cob, wattle and daub (made from a combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw)

- Is a property in a conservation area

- Has a shingle or part or all-flat roof

- Is a listed or very old property.

Key features of our specialist home insurance:
Buildings are automatically covered for:

- Up to £5000 for tracing and accessing leaks in the property.

- Interior frozen pipes.

- Accidental damage to fixed sanitary fixtures and fittings.

- We will also provide alternative accommodation should your home become inhabitable.

Contents are automatically covered for:

- Accidental damage to glass and mirrors and electrical equipment.

- £500 for new locks if your keys are lost or stolen.

- £1000 for loss of metered water and oil, so if a leak results in a large bill you do not need to worry.

- Up to £1000 for contents in the open, such as garden furniture or a shed (contained within the boundaries of the land).

- Up to £1000 for frozen food spoilage.

- We also offer home assistance cover and legal protection up to £50,000.

Am I eligible for this policy?
A good feature of our specialist home insurance is its flexibility. Depending on your property our underwriters will tailor your policy to suit you, so there is no set list of eligibility requirements.
Trees near the property
We do require you to inform us of any tree within 7 metres of the home (on the land).
Some security requirements for your property
There are certain things you need to make sure you have done to ensure full protection under this policy:

Make sure your home is furnished for normal occupation.

Make sure you close your windows and doors when you leave your home or go to sleep at night.

Opening windows on the ground floor, basement and accessible upper floor windows should be fitted with key operated security devices or shutters securely locked internally.

If your property is underpinned we will send you a proposal form to complete, as we may require extra information about the extent of underpinning on your home.

About the policy
The policy is underwritten by well known insurers including Allianz & Pinnacle.

All our insurers have signed up to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) and Financial Ombudsman Scheme (FOS).

Copies of the policy document can be downloaded and printed off, to read at your leisure. If having gone through them, you have any queries, please get in touch. We’re an insurance provider based in the UK and would be delighted to hear from you.

The policy summary
The policy summary, also known as Key Facts, contains the main policy information. It explains how it works, covers off eligibility issues, highlights the features and benefits and outlines the exclusions and claims protocol.
The policy wording
The policy wording, also known as the certificate of insurance, is more detailed. It contains your policy terms & conditions and explains definitions, the insurance contract, exclusions and support services. It also advises how to make changes or cancel your policy, plus explains how to make a claim.
Amending your policy
You will be able to amend, change or transfer your policy cover by phoning the telephone number in your policy documentation.

Please note that the eligibility criteria are also applicable to amendments to your policy. An amendment fee of £10.00 may be charged.

Cancelling your policy
You can cancel for any reason during the initial 14 day cooling off period from inception or renewal or receipt of the policy or renewal documentation, whichever is the later.

If you wish to do so and the insurance cover has not yet commenced, you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid.

Alternatively, if cover has already commenced, your premium will be refunded to you, after deduction of a charge for the cover provided from the beginning of the contract to the date of cancellation, and in the event that a claim has not been made that would be considered as having completed the contract.

How to make a claim on your home insurance
Towergate Connect has a dedicated claims team that will give you the support you need until your claim is resolved. When necessary their specialist loss adjusters will be available to help you.
The claims process
Call the dedicated claims team on 01708 777 710 for immediate advice or email them at householdclaims@towergate.co.uk

Download and complete the claim form

Once the claim form is completed please post it to:
Towergate Connect
Claims Department
The Octagon

Contact Us

0844 346 0431

Monday - Friday

9am - 7pm


9am - 1pm
Send us a query

Let us contact you

Enter your phone number and we’ll call you.

Call me back

Insurance guide


Q: Would you insure my property if it is both listed and timber framed?

Q: Do I have to keep my property maintained?

Q: Would I still be covered for theft under this policy?

Holiday Home Insurance

From second home insurance in the UK to cover for your overseas holiday home we’ve got it covered through our UK based service through Towergate, who provide holiday home insurance to over 25,000 customers.