Unemployment, Accident & Sickness Insurance - British Insurance

Protection Insurance Guide

When do I need to apply?

Protection Insurance is for long term peace of mind. Therefore you should apply when you feel you have financial commitments that could not be met if you lost your income, such as in cases of redundancy. There are also times when you should not apply as you would not be able to claim.

You can apply if you:

  • Are over 18 and under 65
  • Have worked continuously for the last six months
  • Are working and living in the UK
  • Work for more than 16 hours per week

You should not apply if you:

  • Are close to the statutory retirement age
  • Your work is of a temporary nature
  • Your company/department has announced restructures or redundancies

Jargon Buster

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

View the full glossary


Q: Can I have joint cover?
Q: What is an excess period?
Q: How do I buy this insurance?
Q: How much benefit can I insure?

View all FAQs

Contact us

View phone numbers Send us a query

Let us contact you

Enter your phone number and we’ll call you.

Call me back

Income Protection Insurance (PPI)

Income Payment Protection Insurance will pay a tax-free monthly benefit of up to £1,500 per month, after the waiting period (ranging from ‘back to day one’ to 180 days), in case of involuntary unemployment or if you are unable to work due to an accident or sickness.

Mortgage Protection Insurance (MPPI)

Similar to payment protection cover, but restricted to cover your mortgage payments only. The maximum benefit is £2,000.

Holiday Home Insurance

From second home insurance in the UK to cover for your overseas holiday home we’ve got it covered through our UK based service through Towergate, who provide holiday home insurance to over 25,000 customers.