Unemployment, Accident & Sickness Insurance - British Insurance

  • Protect your outgoings should you find yourself unable to work

    British Insurance is one of the UK´s leading independent Protection Insurance providers. This form of protection is also known as Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance. In today´s fragile economic climate we believe that being prepared for the unexpected is very important.

    Get a quote
  • Get peace of mind for the future by protecting your family

    We offer Family Income Benefit provided by Ageas. This life insurance could pay your family’s monthly outgoings should you die or be diagnosed as terminally ill. This form of life insurance means your family will receive monthly tax-free payments to cover their outgoings.

    Get a quote
  • Feel confident that your home is covered with our specialist policies

    British Insurance offers a range of home insurance policies. Holiday Home Insurance, Landlord Insurance, Unoccupied Property Insurance, and Non-Standard Construction Insurance.

    Get a quote
  • Income Protection Insurance

    Also known as short term income protection, this can be used to safeguard your rent payments, utility and council tax bills or even your monthly food costs
    Read more

    Mortgage Protection Insurance

    This Mortgage insurance is designed to cover your mortgage and up to 25% of related expenses such as your life insurance or home insurance only. The maximum monthly benefit is £2000
    Read more

    Loan Protection Insurance

    Protect your loan repayments if you become unemployed, suffer an accident or sickness, are hospitalised, die or are diagnosed with a Terminal Illness or become a carer for a partner or relative
    Read more

    Family Income Benefit - Life Insurance

    Family Income Benefit will pay your family monthly tax-free payments should you die or be diagnosed as terminally ill.
    Read more

    Holiday Home Insurance

    We provide insurance for holiday and second homes in the UK, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Southern Cyprus, Bulgaria and the Republic of Ireland.
    Read more

    Landlord Insurance

    As a landlord you face unique risks. We offer good value, flexible insurance which covers properties let to professionals, students and DSS and up to 20% no claims discount
    Read more

    Unoccupied Insurance

    Our Unoccupied Property Insurance is suitable for properties which may be left vacant for 30 days or more. Instant cover is available online or over the phone
    Read more


  • British Insurance is one of the UK's leading independent Protection Insurance providers. This cover is also known as accident, sickness and unemployment (ASU) insurance or redundancy insurance.

    Because we're part of Towergate Insurance - Europe's largest independent intermediary - we're able to extend our product range and include policies that have been traditionally difficult to source from online providers.

    At British Insurance we are passionate about offering good value insurance in a simple way. We are online only, keeping the costs down.

    We’ve won numerous awards and received many endorsements, but don’t just take our word for it, check out what others have to say about us in the awards and press section.

    Click here to read more information about the claims ratio of our insurers.

  • Mon, Jul, 2 2012

    The Metro - Protect yourself before illness strikes with income protection insurance

    'One in five British workers is likely to go on long-term sick leave during their careers. But with statutory sick pay at just £85 per week, few people could pay bills...'


    Fri, Jun, 29 2012

    The Guardian - Mortgages: how parents can help their children on to the property ladder

    'Helping with mortgage deposits is no longer the only answer, says Rupert Jones...'


    Mon, Jun, 25 2012

    The Guardian - Households say finances look brightest for two years even as wages nosedive

    'Lower inflation brings hope of closing gap with pay but job security worsens, according to Markit household finance index...'


    can't go backcan't go back of 30

What is Protection Insurance (PPI)?

PPI, also known as Unemployment Insurance or Accident, Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) cover, is an insurance policy which pays out if you lose your income - due to redundancy or an inability to work because of an accident or sickness - and replaces it with tax-free monthly cash payments for up to 12 months.

This cover has traditionally been sold by credit providers alongside mortgage, loan or credit-card products. However, the Competition Commission intends to ban lenders from selling PPI at the point you take out your borrowing. This gives you the opportunity to shop around for cheaper payment protection cover from intermediaries and online protection providers such as British Insurance via the internet, to ensure you get the best deal you can.

Many people aren't aware that payment protection insurance isn't restricted to mortgage payment protection, covering just your finance commitments; income payment protection insurance can also be used to safeguard your rent payments, utility and council tax bills or even your monthly food costs.

How does it work?

Providers generally price cover per £100 of monthly benefit - allowing you to clearly see what you're paying each month and know what the return will be should you need to claim. Simply work out how much you need and the provider will calculate the premium. If the provider doesn't give you a monthly figure, either ask for one, or find someone that does.

Payment Protection Policies offer a choice of waiting periods (the length of time you've chosen to wait until money starts being paid directly to your mortgage provider or into your bank account) - these range from ‘back to day one' to 180 days. The longer the waiting period, the lower the monthly premium.

Who is the cover for?

Anyone in employment who runs a home. Whether you're buying your property, renting or in a shared ownership agreement, the financial consequences of a lost salary are equally severe.

I'm wary of buying protection insurance due to stories I've heard in the media

We understand this and it's one of the main reasons we've put together this guide to try and make income and mortgage protection cover clear to people, and so that they don't pay for something that's not suitable.

In the past there have been instances where high street finance providers have sold Payment Protection without explaining what is and isn't covered. Also the PPI cost used to be added to your loan (known as single premium PPI) and you were charged interest on your premiums which made it an expensive form of insurance.

Now you just pay your premium on a monthly basis totally separate from your borrowing and are free to cancel at any time. It's important that people don't disregard payment insurance as it can really help you manage your finances if you find yourself unable to work.

What isn't covered?

We are not saying that mortgage and income protection is right for everyone and there are some important conditions you should be aware of before deciding to take out this cover.

  • If you're a contract worker or self-employed certain conditions for redundancy cover apply so check the policy exclusion before you buy.
  • You will be unable to claim for unemployment until your policy has been up and running for an initial period - typically 120 days
  • You will not be able to make a claim for a medical condition that you have suffered from prior to taking out your PPI policy (pre-existing condition).
  • You will be unable to claim for unemployment or sickness cover until you have been off work for a minimum period - this will vary between providers but is usually from 30 days. It also depends on the waiting period you have chosen.
  • Claims resulting from back-ache and stress (the two most common reasons for workplace absence) will usually only be paid if radiological evidence or a psychiatrist's diagnosis is received and that it's not a pre-existing condition.
  • Maximum age for cover is usually 65 years.
  • Maximum monthly payout is usually restricted, either to a percentage of your monthly income or a maximum monthly limit.
  • You have a 30 day cooling off period when you take out your PPI policy and have the right to cancel and receive a full refund during this time.

Why it's important to you?

PPI is an effective way stop bills spiralling out of control at a time when money is tight. It can prevent you having to use up your savings or getting into debt, so why leave things to chance?

Whilst state support is available, for many, it is unlikely to be sufficient. The weekly Jobseeker's Allowance of £65.45 is barely enough to cover a food bill and it's been found that less than 2% of households qualify for the Government's £40 a week Income Support for Mortgage Interest scheme (recipients are means-tested). PPI on the other hand cover allows you to take control of your finances.

When should I buy PPI?

Give it some careful thought now, just think how you'd manage to meet your monthly repayments if you were unable to work - don't leave it until it's too late. For example, if your company announces a programme of job losses, restructures or mergers with another firm within four months of your policy start date you won't be eligible to claim. In other words, don't wait for your employment situation to change before you think about buying a policy.

What happens if I need to make a claim?

You will find a contact number on your policy and advisers will explain the next steps. If you're making an unemployment claim, you'll need to register with Jobcentre Plus - the date you register is the date your claim starts. For accident or sickness claims, a doctor will need to provide details, and again, the start of the claim will be the date the doctor has certified you're unfit for work.

This guide is provided by British Insurance and Moneynet and is intended to provide a high level overview. When buying payment protection insurance, always read the insurer documentation to ensure the cover is appropriate for your needs.